The Supreme Court of South Carolina
Re: Amendment to Rule 422(b), South Carolina Appellate Court Rules
Appellate Case No. 2019-000498
Pursuant to Article V, Section 4 of the South Carolina Constitution, Rule 422(b) of the South Carolina Appellate Court Rules (SCACR) is amended as set forth in the attachment to this Order. The amendment alters the membership of the Commission on Alternative Dispute Resolution to provide for the appointment of three at-large members, who may be lawyers, judges, or public members. The amendment is effective immediately.
s/Donald W. Beatty C.J.
s/John W. Kittredge J.
s/Kaye G. Hearn J.
s/John Cannon Few J.
s/George C. James, Jr. J.
Columbia, South Carolina
June 5, 2019
Rule 422(b), South Carolina Appellate Court Rules, is amended to provide:
(b) Membership of Commission. The Commission's Chair will be the Chief Justice or the Chief Justice's designee. The Supreme Court will appoint the Commission's other members as follows:
(1) State Judges: One Circuit Court judge, one Family Court judge; one judge from the state appellate bench; one summary court judge; two judges from any state court.
(2) Practicing Lawyers: Six practicing lawyers, at least four of whom are certified arbitrators and/or mediators, with due regard for diversity of practices among the members.
(3) A county clerk of court.
(4) The Director of Court Administration or the Director's designee.
(5) The Chair of the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee or the Chair's designee.
(6) The Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee or the Chair's designee.
(7) The Chair of the South Carolina Bar's Dispute Resolution Section or the Chair's designee.
(8) Three at-large members who may be certified mediators or arbitrators or who are otherwise involved in alternative dispute resolution.